If you want a decent-looking lawn, investing in a lawnmower is a must! However, that doesn’t mean you need to spend thousands on the best riding mowers. With a small budget of $500, you can find a range of mowers that get the job done.
In this article, I’m going to discuss the five best lawn mowers under $500. Each product has been chosen based on the following metrics:
- Cutting deck width
- Power source
In a hurry? No problem! My top pick is the Craftsmans M105. The decent size cutting deck and powerful engine go hand in hand, helping you cut through thick grass in the shortest time possible.
5 Best Lawnmowers Under $500
Greenworks 48V Lawn Mower
1.Craftsman M105 (Best Gas-Powered)
- 140CC OHV GAS POWERED ENGINE: Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start!
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- 21-INCH CUTTING DECK: Efficient cutting deck helps trim grass in one quick pass for an easier yard job.
The Craftsman M105 is in a league of its own. The heavy-duty design and powerful engine make it an excellent choice for contractors. Although at 21″, it hasn’t got the biggest cutting deck, so you’ll only be able to cut smaller lawns up to ½ acre.
If, however, you plan to use it for your own home – you won’t be disappointed. Not only is it easy to assemble, but it’s also very maneuverable and lightweight, and this makes it easy to turn once you’ve mowed a strip of grass.
In addition, the lightweight design makes it easier to push for seniors, as you’re not going to be exerting much effort with each step. For me, this is a huge plus, as most gas-powered mowers are heavy and clunky.
Read Also: 5 Best Lawn Mowers For Seniors
It’s also super quiet. According to various sources online, it’s under 85 dB, which means you can use it without ear protection. However, I wouldn’t recommend it.
You can also take advantage of the six different cutting heights. This allows you to get a perfect-looking lawn every time, whatever that means to you!
The problem with this mower is it isn’t self-propelled. However, the lightweight design makes up for this minor issue.
What I Like…
- Heavy-duty powerful engine
- Cut lawns up to ½ acre
- Easy to assemble
- Lightweight and maneuverable
What I Don’t Like…
- Not self-propelled
- Not ideal for extensive lawns (more than ½ acre)
Best Feature: Easy To Assemble
2.LawnMaster ME1218X Electric Lawn Mower (Best Corded)
- 【18-INCH CUTTING WIDTH & HIGH EFFICIENCY】With 19-inch high impact rust resistant deck, electric Lawn Mower with 12AMP powerful motor provides a speed of 3600RPM
- 【2-IN-1 FUNCTION】Mulch or side discharge
- 【6 CUTTING POSITIONS】 From 1.5" - 4", with a one touch height adjustment lever
If you’re looking for a corded mower, the Lawnmaster ME1218X is an excellent choice. But be warned, the cord only reaches a certain distance. To increase the distance, you’ll need an extension lead. That’s why I recommend this mower for people with small lawns.
It has an 18″ cutting width with a 19″ deck. This means there is going to be a 1″ edge on either side of your lawn. Therefore, you won’t need to spend much time trimming the edges.
But where this mower shines is in its lightweight design and excellent maneuverability. Because it doesn’t have a large engine built-in, pushing it and maneuvering around obstacles doesn’t require much strength.
Read Also: 5 Best Lightweight Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
After you’ve finished cutting the lawn, you can fold the handle, making it more compact and easy to store.
Furthermore, you can choose from 6 cutting heights: 1.5″, 2.0″, 2.5″, 3.0″, 3.5″, 4.0″. A shorter cutting height makes your lawn more attractive, whereas a longer cut promotes a healthier lawn.
It’s also easy to assemble. You’ll only need to tighten up four nuts and bolts, and you can start mowing!
What I Like…
- Minimal space between deck and blade
- Lightweight design (25lbs)
- Easy to maneuver around obstacles
- Foldable handle
- Six cutting heights
What I Don’t Like…
- May require an extension lead
- Only works on smaller lawns
Best Feature: Lightweight
3.Greenworks 48V Cordless Push Lawn Mower (Best Battery-Powered)
- Two Greenworks 24 VOLT POWERALL batteries combine for 48 VOLTS of exceptional, better than gas power without leaving the 24 VOLT battery platform
- Up To 45 Minutes Run-Time With 2 Fully Charged 4Ah USB Batteries. Run-Time Varies Based on Grass Condition and Operator Technique. Dual Port Charger Included
- Highly efficient brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
The Greenworks is electric but still offers adequate power because of the two 48V batteries. And the best thing, these batteries give you 45 minutes of run time when fully charged.
45 minutes is more time compared to other battery-powered mowers on the market. Combined with the 20″ cutting deck, you should be able to mow a large area in a small amount of time.
In addition, the battery-powered motor makes it super quiet. That means you can mow the lawn without waking the neighbors – day or night.
And it gets even better…
According to previous customers, the Greenworks Push Lawn Mower does a great job cutting through tall grass. I like this because some mowers stall when they encounter high grass.
In terms of downsides, it’s not as powerful as the Craftsman M105, for example. Although, it is battery-powered after all, right!?
What I Like…
- Battery Powered (No engine maintenance)
- It comes with 2 batteries
- 45 minutes run time
- 20″ cutting deck
What I Don’t Like…
- Not as powerful as gas mowers
Best Feature: Works On Tall Grass
4.Greenworks 40V 21 inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower (Best Self-Propelled)
- Greenworks 40V brushless mower provides up to 60 minutes run-time with fully charged 6Ah battery. Run-time varies based on grass condition and operator technique
- Product dimensions: 65.35” L x 21.65” W x 33.07” H; Product weight: 21.65 pounds; Height adjustments: 1 3/8” - 3 ¾”
- Durable 21" steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily. Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
If you don’t have the physical strength to push around a standard lawnmower, self-propelled could be the answer. A great option is the Greenworks Self-propelled Lawnmower.
Read Also: Best Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
Weighing only 21lbs, it’s easy to transfer to and from storage. It’s also the lightest mower on this list, in case you were wondering!
Once you get this guy fired up, you can choose the mulch, discharge, or collect grass clippings. Want my advice? Mulch your trimmings as it’s going to promote a healthier and more attractive-looking lawn.
According to GreenWorks, battery life is around 45 minutes. However, after extensive research, I found this number decreases when using the self-propelled function to about 25 minutes.
Therefore, only use the self-propelled feature when mowing on an incline, especially if you have a more extensive lawn.
For downsides, the battery is difficult to remove. Also, you can’t buy replacement blades on Amazon. You’ll need to contact GreenWorks directly, which can be a pain.
What I like…
- Weighs only 21lbs
- Mulch, side discharge, or bagging capabilities
- 25-45 minutes battery life
- 21″ cutting deck
What I Don’t Like…
- The battery is difficult to remove
- You may need two batteries
Best Feature: Durability
5.Laginza 196cc Self-Propelled Gas Powered Lawn Mower (Most Powerful)
- [EPA CARB Certificated Engine] It will discharge less fuel gas in use, and won't cause pollution or do hard to human body.
- POWERFUL 200CC 3.6KW OHV GAS ENGINE: Powerful gas engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start.
- 4-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities, Edge cutting. Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on hilly terrain. DRIVE SYSTEM：Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on hilly terrain.
Are you looking to get the most powerful mower? The Laginza 196cc Lawnmower has a 196cc engine, making it the most powerful on this list. And the best thing? It has an EPA CARB certificated engine. This means you’ll burn less fuel, saving you money in the long term.
In addition, it’s self-propelled. Although, it’s not the fastest moving mower in the world. Some customers complained that it was a little slow. The good news? It doesn’t slow down when tackling hilly terrain as other mowers do.
Furthermore, you can choose between bagging, side discharge, mulching, and edge cutting. I like the edge cutting feature as you don’t see this with many lawnmowers unless you go for a super high price point.
The cutting deck is a whopping 22″, making it the biggest on this list. It does a great job at cutting medium size lawns. And being gas-powered, you won’t need to stop and recharge any batteries.
What I Like…
- Powerful 196cc engine
- Burns less fuel
- It doesn’t slow down on hilly terrain
- Edge cutting feature
What I Don’t Like…
- Very slow when self-propelled
- Little heavier at 100lbs
Best Feature: Edge Cutting
How To Choose The Best Lawn Mower Under $500
Cutting Deck Width
The size of a lawnmower cutting deck determines how wide of a cut it can produce. Therefore, if you’ve got a bigger lawn, a larger cutting deck is going to save you time.
Read Also: Best Lawnmowers For 3 Acres
On the flip side, people with smaller lawns can get away with a narrower cutting deck. Although, I recommend going for something between 17-20″ unless you want to spend more time cutting the grass.
Gas VS Electric VS Corded
Most lawnmowers are gas; however, recent times have seen more battery-powered mowers in action. Battery-powered mowers aren’t as powerful as gas; however, they can be great for smaller lawns.
The problem? You have to charge the batteries when they run out, which means you’ll have to stop mowing. To combat this, you could use a corded mower. But then you can only travel a certain distance before the lead becomes too short.
Although, you could prevent this by using an extension lead. However, you’re still limited to a certain extent.
The main benefit of a powerful engine is the ability to produce a cleaner, more precise cut. Rather than pulling grass from the ground, powerful engines trim grass clippings like a pair of scissors.
In addition, mowers with powerful engines are built better. If a company is willing to use a reliable engine, you usually find the rest of the lawnmower is good quality and long-lasting.
When people purchase lawnmowers, they often overlook a crucial element – storage. Some mowers are bulky and don’t fold up, making them difficult to store in your garage.
My advice? Look for one that’s smaller in size and has a foldable design. That way, you’ll have more space in your garage for other tools and appliances.
You don’t have to spend a fortune to get a reliable lawnmower. $500 is more than enough, especially if you have a smaller lawn. The only reason you should go above $500 is if you’re purchasing a mower for commercial purposes.
To recap, I recommend the Craftsman M105. It has a reliable engine designed to cut through tough grass. In addition, the lightweight design makes it great for people who haven’t got the physical strength to push a mower around.