The Riding Lawnmower is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Buying a zero-turn lawnmower is relatively simple; however, when you throw uneven ground into the mix, it’s a whole other story. You need to choose one that’s capable of maneuvering over rough terrain with ease. In this article, I’m going to review 5 of the best zero turn mowers for uneven ground. You’ll discover the pros, cons, best features, and more.
But before I get into it, I want to present my favorite zero-turn mower for uneven ground for people who are short on time. My top choice is the Husqvarna Z254. It’s powerful enough to tackle uneven ground, agile, and comes with a top speed of 6.5MPH.
What Makes Me Qualified
My name is Evan and I’ve been testing the best lawn mowers for years. Over the years, I’ve learned which ones are worth investing in, and which ones aren’t.
I created this article using my expert knowledge combined with previous customer experiences. Everything I write is to provide you with the most up-to-date and honest information.
5 Best Zero-Turn Mowers For Uneven Ground
- 26 HP Kohler engine provides reliable startups and a max speed of 6.5 MPH
- A patent-pending park brake system automatically activates or deactivates as the steering levers are moved outward or inward
- Air induction mowing technology draws air from the top and bottom of the deck, improving grass and delivering a superior cut
The Husqvarna Z254 is known for its superior power compared to other zero-turn mowers on the market, which is exactly what you need when cutting uneven ground.
It has a top speed of 6.5MPH and can cut an acre of grass in 1 hour.
When delivered, it’s securely packed in a large crate; however, you’ll need to attach the seat, battery, and safety switch. This shouldn’t be too big an issue.
If however, you’re struggling to put it together, you can refer to the detailed instruction manual.
What’s more, you’ll also need to adjust the steering levels, otherwise, it’ll be veering off to the side, which presents a whole other problem.
You thought mowing uneven ground was stressful. Try riding a zero-turn mower without adjusted steering.
The good news is this process doesn’t require any tools, which is a huge relief.
You’ll also be glad to hear the seat is very comfortable. This is great for uneven ground. However, while the seat is comfortable, the backrest is a little small, putting additional strain on your back after excess mowing.
That’s why I recommend this mower for people without pre-existing back injuries.
So how about the downsides!?
While it has a great reputation, I found some small issues you need to be aware of.
The thing that stood out to me the most was some people had issues returning this mower after removing it from the crate. While it could have been a bad customer service agent on Husqvarna’s part, it does make you wonder.
Also, most people found it difficult to remove from the crate after delivery.
- Powerful engine for uneven ground
- Cuts your mowing time in half compared to a riding mower
- Easy to put together after arriving
- Comfortable enough seat for rough terrain
- Previous customers had issues returning the mower after removing it from the crate
- It’s difficult to move from your driveway after delivery
Best Feature: Powerful Engine
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
If you’re cutting a lawn with hills, this lawnmower is perfect. It has a 23hp engine which is made to stand the test of time.
What’s more, it’s designed for residential lawns; however, the quality says otherwise. I’d have no issues recommending this mower for commercial use.
While the seat isn’t super comfortable, it has a large backrest, preventing unnecessary strain when mowing uneven ground.
After delivery, you’ll only need to assemble the battery cables, saving you time and energy.
Because who wants to spend hours putting together a zero-turn mower? You’ve got grass to cut, right!?
The 52” cutting deck is plenty; for both residential and commercial lawns. Combine that with the zero-turn feature, and you’ve got a mower that cuts grass at an exceptional rate.
Keep in mind the cutting deck leans more towards to right. While this may seem like an inconvenience, it’s designed to cut the edges of your lawn.
In addition, it also cuts grass in reverse. While this is a cool feature to have, I don’t recommend using it unless maneuvering through tight spots.
Cutting your lawn in reverse not only poses safety issues due to lack of visibility, but it also leads to an uneven cut.
And who wants an uneven lawn and uneven grass, right!?
Furthermore, I recommend using it on hills that are no more than 30 degrees, otherwise, you’ll begin to lose traction and stability, increasing the potential for accidents.
When it comes to downsides, I noticed it doesn’t have any headlights. While this doesn’t make a difference during the day, it’s a nice feature to have when it’s dark.
Also, while it performs great on bumpy terrain, it puts additional stress on the engine, decreasing the lifespan over time.
- Large backrest to prevent back strain
- Designed to cut the edges of your lawn
- Can cut grass in reverse
- Perfect for lawns up to 30 degrees
- Doesn’t include headlights for mowing in the dark
- Bumpy terrain puts additional strain on the engine
Best Feature: Slanted Cutting Deck For Edges
- 【THREE WHEEL EXCLUSIVE DESIGN】 With three-wheel design and one universal front wheel, you can change the direction of mowing effortlessly. It has the strong power of a gasoline engine and the lightness of an electric machine.
- 【170CC OHV GAS ENGINE & 20-INCH STEEL MOWING DECK】 PowerSmart gas lawn mower contains with powerful 4-stroke, single cylinder gas engine which provides you powerful back up for clearing the tallest and toughest grass. Forced air-cooling system is equipped and ensures the continuous power of the engine to get your job finished. 20-inch steel mowing deck creates the large cutting area with high durability, which can help you cut bigger jobs easily.
- 【ADJUSTABLE CUTTING DEPTH】 The self-propelled mower has 8-position height adjustment which allows you to change the cutting height to cut grass and overgrowth easily, cutting height in this self-propelled lawn mower can be adjusted between the range of 1.21 to 3.15 inch, cutting width is 20 inch, and grass catcher capacity is 2.3 Bushels.
While the PowerSmart Lawn Mower isn’t your traditional zero-turn mower, it still performs great on rough terrain; however, it’s going to take a lot longer than normal to cut the lawn.
For that reason, I only recommend it for cutting small lawns.
Read Also: Best Riding Lawn Mowers For Small Lawns
So you’re probably wondering why this mower is on the list, right!?
Rather than having 4 wheels like most walk-behind mowers, it’s got three. With that being said, the front one spins 360 degrees, letting you cut grass similar to a zero-turn mower.
What’s more, attached to the back is a grass bag. Once full, it’s easy to remove and empty into a rubbish sack.
If you’re on the taller side, you can adjust the handle so you’re not bent over and putting strain on your back. According to previous customers, it works perfectly for people who are up to 193cm.
While it’s great for taller people, It doesn’t work too well for older people. Being self-propelled, the power can be too strong for elders who can’t walk super fast.
On the flip side, if you’re younger, the self-propelled feature is great to have. You won’t have to waste excess energy pushing the lawnmower along and you get a good workout in.
What’s not to love?
So do I recommend it for steep hills and uneven ground?
It’s great for uneven ground; however, I wouldn’t recommend it for steep hills. The wheels are made from plastic and will slip if you’re not careful.
In future models, I’d like to see an option to adjust the speed. This way, it would be perfect for older people who can’t keep up the pace when walking.
- Perfect for small lawns
- Adjustable handle for taller people
- Fast for a self-propelled push mower
- Great for uneven ground
- I don’t recommend it for steep hills
- The self-propelled feature makes it hard for older people to keep up the pace
Best Feature: Comes With A Grass Bag
- POWERFUL ENGINE: Strong 23HP Kohler twin-cylinder engine with an easy and reliable starting system with no prime and no choke.
- EXCEPTIONAL MANEUVERABILITY: Zero turn radius that allows quick and easy directional changes. The optimal efficiency provides the ultimate mowing experience.
- COMFORTABLE RIDE: Dual hydrostatic transmission paired with a high-back seat offers premium support and comfort when operating the mower
When you think of zero-turn mowers, one of the big brands that come to mind is Craftsman. They have been creating reputable lawnmowers for years, and definitely are in the running for one of the best zero turn mowers for uneven ground.
And this one is no exception!
After delivery, you’ll need to connect the seat, safety harness, and make a few minor adjustments.
While it’s relatively simple for most, some people struggle to put everything together. That being said, there is a detailed instruction manual guiding you through the process.
In front of the seat are large handlebars, so you can stabilize your body when tackling rough terrain.
What’s more, it doesn’t have a foot brake. To stop the mower, place both levers in a neutral position. If you’ve been using a riding mower, this one may take a little longer to get used to.
However, once you’ve got the hang of it, it’s an absolute animal!
Similar to the Ariens Zero-Turn Mower, it also cuts grass in reverse, helping you maneuver your way through tight spaces.
While the benefits listed above are great, one thing I like about this mower is the fact it has a cup holder.
Because who doesn’t love a coffee while mowing the grass, right!?
Furthermore, I recommend it for hills that are no more than 15 degrees, otherwise, you could end up injuring yourself and damaging it.
So how about the downsides?
I found some customers were having trouble fitting it in their garages because of the large cutting deck. Before purchasing this mower, I recommend measuring the size of your garage door.
If it’s more than 50 inches, I’d consider a different mower.
Also, some people said it took longer to arrive than expected. On the flip side, some customers received it in only 10 days. While the delivery is likely to be on time, there’s a small possibility of delays.
- Comes pre-assembled (excluding small parts)
- Large handlebars to stabilize yourself on bumpy terrain
- Comes with a cup holder for your morning coffee
- Great for hills up to 15 degrees
- Some customers had trouble fitting it through the garage door
- The delivery times can be a little skewed at times
Best Feature: Coffee Cup Holder
- Husqvarna 61 in. zero-turn lawn mower from the MZ series delivers commercial-grade power and amazing ergonomics
- 27 HP Briggs Endurance engine provides reliable startups and high ground speeds
- Fabricated 11-gauge steel cutting deck offers an excellent 54 in. cut with an ergonomically designed deck lifting system for quick and easy adjustments from the operator’s seat
Similar to most zero-turn mowers, this one also gets delivered to your front yard in a large crate. I have to admit, the crate isn’t easy to open, but the hassle is worth it once you see how it performs.
But how does it perform on uneven ground!?
It performs great! In fact, it also works perfectly for steep hills; however, be careful going down hills as the wheels may begin sliding, causing you to lose control.
That’s why I recommend this mower for rough terrain with small hills. Make sure you take extra care when going downhill though.
If you encounter debris on your lawn, you can use the pedal to adjust the cutting height. This way, you can avoid objects that could damage the mower.
What’s more, the 27hp engine and 61” cutting deck will bring down your cutting times dramatically. You can expect to cut about 2.5 acres in just over an hour (on level ground).
Think about all that spare time you have to relax!
But is the seat as highly-praised as the engine!?
Not only is the seat super comfortable, but it also has a large backrest, which is perfect for uneven ground.
Because a bumpy ride requires a little more back support, right!?
In terms of downsides, I noticed this mower doesn’t have a fuel gauge, making it difficult to know when it’s time to refill. After further inspection, I discovered the only way to check is by removing the fuel cap.
In future models, I’d love to see a fuel light.
Guess you can’t have everything though, right!?
- Great for steep hills
- Pedal to adjust the cutting height (great for avoiding debris)
- Comfortable set with a supportive backrest
- Comes in a large crate for great protection
- There nothing to indicate how much fuel is left
- The crate is difficult to open, especially without the right tools
Best Feature: Pedal to Adjust Cutting Height (Great for avoiding debris)
Choosing The Best Zero-Turn Mower For Rough Terrain
When cutting rough terrain, it’s important to choose a lawnmower with lots of power. This becomes even more important if you’re cutting grass on small hills.
Small hills and uneven terrain require your lawnmower to work harder to overcome these obstacles. If it doesn’t have enough power, it’s going to stall.
Hence why most of the mowers on this list are zero-turn.
Luckily, zero-turn mowers have more power than standard riding lawn mowers, making them perfect for difficult terrain.
Riding over difficult terrain is hard enough, but chuck an uncomfortable lawnmower into the mix and it’s a recipe for disaster.
Bumpy ground requires more comfort than normal unless you want to end up with a bad back. When choosing a lawnmower, look for one with a comfortable seat and backrest.
It’s also a good idea to choose something with a seat belt, helping keep you secure. Depending on how rough your terrain is, there’s always a small possibility the lawnmower tips over.
A seat belt provides an extra layer of security.
Cutting Deck & Width
The width of your cutting deck determines how long it takes to mow your lawn. The larger the cutting deck, the faster it cuts.
The size of the cutting deck is down to personal preference; however, I recommend choosing something on the larger side, especially if you have lots of ground to cover.
Because who wants to spend 10 hours cutting the grass!?
Read Also: Best Riding Mowers For 5 Acres
Luckily, most zero-turn mowers have large cutting decks. Out of the 5 on this list, the Husqvarna MZ61 has the biggest and will cut your lawn the fastest.
Commercial VS Residential
Commercial lawn mowers are designed to be used for longer periods, whereas residential ones are meant to be used a few times per week.
When it comes to uneven ground, we recommend going for a mower designed for commercial use. That way, you can be sure it has enough power to climb the steep hills.
Alternatively, you can use a higher-end residential lawnmower.
With that being said, try to steer clear of the cheaper residential mowers as they aren’t going to be as reliable.
Read Also: Best Riding Lawn Mowers For The Money
Not all zero-turn mowers on this list come with handlebars; however, they pose great benefits when tackling rough terrain. Handlebars let you stabilize your body, making the ride a little less bumpy.
It’s even better if the handlebars can be adjusted, catering to your height; however, this isn’t essential.
Can You Fix Uneven Ground?
Unless you’re talking about rolling hills, fixing your uneven lawn is relatively simple. It’s going to require some time, hard work, and patience; however, it’ll pay off tenfold in the end.
How To Level An Uneven Lawn?
What Makes Zero Turn Mowers So Great For Uneven Ground?
Zero-turn mowers are like the ‘Mike Tyson of lawnmowers. They are powerful, fast, agile, and can tackle the most difficult terrains. Because of their superior power, they can climb small hills with ease.
Uneven ground is a pain; however, there’s a solution to every problem. And the solution to this one is a powerful and reliable zero-turn mower.
I hope this article has helped you choose the best zero-turn mower for uneven ground. I’m curious to know if anybody has any recommendations on lawn mowers for difficult terrain?
If so, drop a comment below and I will get back to you!
To recap, my top pick is the Husqvarna Z254. It’s powerful, easy to put together, and has a semi-comfortable seat.