The Riding Lawnmower is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
This is a review of the best lawn mowers for 3 acres.
Cutting 3 acres of grass requires a special kind of lawnmower that can withstand this much volume. However, with so many different mowers available in 2023, it can be difficult to choose.
That’s why I’ve put together this article that helps you determine the best lawn mower for 3 acres.
But before we dive in, I want to highlight my top pick for the people who are short on time.
My top pick is the Husqvarna Zero Turn Riding Mower. Not only is it easy to assemble, but it cuts 3 acres of grass in about 2 hours, saving you time and energy.
Why I’m Qualified
I’ve spent countless years cutting grass; both commercial and residential lawns. Throughout the years, I’ve learned which lawnmowers are worth paying worth, and which ones aren’t so good.
When creating this article, I combined my knowledge of lawnmowers with previous product reviews, helping you make an informed buying decision.
My 8 Best Lawn Mowers for 3 Acres
- 26 HP Kohler engine provides reliable startups and a max speed of 6.5 MPH
- A patent-pending park brake system automatically activates or deactivates as the steering levers are moved outward or inward
- Air induction mowing technology draws air from the top and bottom of the deck, improving grass and delivering a superior cut
The Husqvarna is one of a kind; with a 54” cutting width, you’ll spend less time cutting mowing the lawn, and more time doing what you love. In fact, one customer said it took them 1 hour to cut their 1-acre lawn.
So if you do the math, it should go through 3 acres in around 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Upon arrival, it will need to be removed from a large crate. This can be difficult for some people; however, the crate is an essential safety feature that keeps everything secure during transit.
Once removed from the crate, you’ll need to attach the seat, battery hookup, and safety switch. After these parts have been installed, it’s time to take it for a spin.
It’s zero-turn, meaning it can spin 360 degrees on the spot. While this doesn’t prove beneficial when cutting the grass, it makes turning it around at the end of each strip of lawn effortless, saving you time and energy.
If you’re used to normal riding lawn mowers with a steering wheel, then it’s going to take some adjusting to get used to a zero-town mower.
Rather than being controlled by a steering wheel, they use two levers to power forward and change direction.
After looking at previous customer reviews, I discovered it only takes people around 20 minutes to learn how to operate them.
So how about the downsides!?
One customer said how the difference in wheel size makes it a little bumpier than other mowers; however, this shouldn’t pose too big an issue.
- Comes in a large and well-packaged crate
- Easy to set up and only requires a few attachments
- It can turn 360 degrees on the spot
- Very fast cutting
- Can be bumpier than other riding mowers on the market
- Takes time to get used to driving, as it doesn’t have a steering wheel
Best Feature: Cuts 3 Acres In 2 Hour 30 Min
- PeakPower technology allows for combined power of any 2 EGO ARC Lithium batteries.Weather Resistant Construction
- Up to 80 minutes of run time on single charge with two included 56V 5. 0 Ah ARC Lithium batteries
- High-efficiency brushless motor
When comparing the Ego Power+ Electric Lawnmower to the Husqvarna Zero Turn Riding Mower, it’s a night and day difference; however, that doesn’t mean it won’t do a great job at cutting your 3-acre lawn.
There are two main differences.
Rather than having a mounted seat, it’s operated manually, similar to a traditional push mower. Also, it’s powered by two 5.0 Ah batteries as opposed to gas.
While this electric lawn mower only lasts for 80 minutes with two fully charged batteries, you won’t have to spend your hard-earned money on fuel every time the grass needs cutting.
So, you could consider it a benefit or a downside depending on your perspective.
What’s more, the handlebar is adjustable, catering to people of all heights. This is also great for people who suffer from back pain and can’t bend over to reach the handlebars.
If you’re stopped in your tracks by thicker and denser grass, this mower automatically increases the power.
Read Also: 5 Best Mowers For Dense Grass
There are also night lights attached, so cutting your grass throughout the night shouldn’t pose a problem.
Make sure you don’t wake the neighbors though!
When it comes to downsides, I discovered it only comes with one charger; however, there are two batteries.
Also, the lowest blade setting isn’t low enough for some people. This means your lawn will need to be cut more frequently.
- Adjustable handlebar that caters to all heights
- Perfect for people who suffer from back pain
- Automatically increases power if it encounters denser grass
- Build-in lights allow you to mow in the dark
- Only comes with one charger even though there are two batteries
- The lowest blade setting isn’t low enough for some people
Best Feature: Lights Let You Mow In The Dark
No products found.
This riding lawn mower is similar to the Husqvarna Mower; however, it doesn’t provide as much cutting width.
The Husqvarna has 56inches, whereas this one has 46inches. Both of these lawnmowers will have no problem cutting 3 acres, but the Husqvarna will do it a little faster.
This lawnmower is also zero-turn, providing better maneuverability and faster mowing times.
What’s more, it can cut grass while in reverse. This isn’t one of the most profound features I’ve ever seen; however, I can see why it can be beneficial in some circumstances.
Personally, I wouldn’t recommend it.
Moving in reverse limits your field of vision, which could lead to accidents.
Anyhow, unlike most riding lawnmowers, this one has a super comfortable seat, which is great for people who suffer from back problems. The reason I like it is because the backrest is higher, allowing you to sit back in a comfortable position.
This is a great benefit to have when mowing 3 acres.
So how about the downsides?
The only thing I discovered was a small percentage of customers waited longer than expected for it to arrive.
- Zero-turn for great maneuverability and faster mowing times
- It can cut the grass in reverse
- A comfortable seat which is great when cutting 3 acres
- Perfect for people who suffer from back pain
- The delivery can be longer than expected
- It’s not as fast as the Husqvarna Zero Turn Riding Mower
Best Feature: Comfortable Seat
- 140cc OHV gas powered engine: Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start!.Clipping Collection: Rear bag collects grass clippings for easy cleanup or composting.
- 3-In-1 capabilities: unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- 21-INCH CUTTING DECK: Efficient cutting deck helps trim grass in one quick pass for an easier yard job.
Before I discuss the reasons why this lawnmower is perfect for your 3-acre lawn, I first want to point out that you must read the instruction manual carefully before use.
According to one customer, there is an important step you must take before starting this lawnmower, otherwise, you may damage the engine.
What’s more, it arrives with a full tank of oil, saving you time and money.
Putting it together shouldn’t take any longer than 10 minutes. Once it’s set up, many previous customers were talking about how smoothly and quietly it operates!
When it comes to performance, you can expect one full tank of gas to cut around 1 acre of grass. For this reason, I recommend having extra gas on hand before purchasing if you want to save yourself time.
In addition, for a lawnmower that isn’t self-propelled, it’s super easy to push and maneuver.
I discovered that some customers had issues with the engine; however, I’m convinced this was because they weren’t following the instruction manual.
As I said previously, there is an important step you must take to ensure the engines don’t break before first use.
- Arrives with a full tank of oil
- Only takes 10 minutes to set up
- Provides smooth and quiet mowing
- Easy to push and maneuver
- Some customers had issues with the engine; however, I believe this is because they weren’t following the instruction manual
- Need to refill the gas tank multiple times to cut 3 acres
Best Feature: Comes With A Full Tank Of Oil
- 170CC OHV GAS ENGINE & 21-INCH STEEL MOWING DECK: PowerSmart gas lawn mower contains with powerful 4-stroke, single cylinder gas engine which provides you powerful back up for clearing the tallest and toughest grass. Forced air-cooling system is equipped and ensures the continuous power of the engine to get your job finished. 21-inch steel mowing deck creates the large cutting area with high durability, which can help you cut bigger jobs easily.
- ADJUSTABLE CUTTING DEPTH: The push mower has 5-position height adjustment which allows you to change the cutting height to cut grass and overgrowth easily, cutting height in this push lawn mower can be adjusted between the range of 1.18 to 3.05 inch, cutting width is 21 inch, and grass catcher capacity is 1.4 Bushels.
- FLEXIBLE AND AGILE: 2-in-1 side discharge and mulching capability allows you to spread grass clippings to the side, returning key nutrients to your lawn so your grass can grow healthy and thick. The 8-inch rear wheels in this gas push mower make it easy to push. This labour-saving design can enhance your work efficiency.
The PowerSmart Lawn Mower is yet another gas-powered push mower that boasts a powerful 170cc engine.
Because of the powerful engine, it’s louder than other brands on the market.
In fact, some customers have compared the engine to a Harley Davidson!
It arrives in a box and shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to set up. Unfortunately, unlike the Craftsman Lawn Mowers, it doesn’t come with a full tank of oil.
You can’t have everything though, right!?
There are 5 cutting levels to choose from depending on your preferred height.
1.18 – 3.05 inches.
The cutting width is 21 inches. While this isn’t as big as other mowers on this list, it still cuts 3 acres of grass; as long as you don’t mind spending more time doing it!
After you’ve finished using this mower, it can be folded down without any tools and stored nicely in your garage.
So how about the downsides?
Some customers said the handle is cheaply made and has a tendency to break after extended periods of use.
- Comes pre-assembled in the box
- 5 cutting levels to choose from
- Foldable design for easy storage
- 21 inches cutting width
- Doesn’t come with oil as some other brands do
- The handle tends to break after a while
Best Feature: Easy To Store
No products found.
The Snapper 28 Rear Engine Riding Mower is similar to other riding mowers on this list; however, it’s a lot smaller and more suitable for residential lawns rather than commercial.
The small size also makes it easier to navigate through hard-to-reach areas. For example, let’s say you have multiple trees next to each other with a small gap in the middle.
A large commercial riding mower wouldn’t be able to fit through; however, this one can.
It’s also a rear engine as opposed to a zero-turn.
This means you’ll be less exposed to gas fumes and have greater stability when cutting grass.
In the rare chance that you run into any issues, you’ll be glad to hear that spare parts are easy to come by and don’t cost an arm and a leg.
However, after looking at what previous customers had to say, I’m confident this mower will last a long time.
The cutting width is 28 inches, which isn’t as big as other riding mowers on this list; however, it still cuts 3 acres in a timely manner.
On average, I’d say it’s going to take around 4 hours.
In terms of downsides, I couldn’t find anything at fault apart from the fact that the cutting width could be bigger.
- Great for residential lawns due to the smaller size
- Easy to navigate through hard to reach areas
- Rear engine design means you’ll be less exposed to gas fumes
- Provides great stability during use
- I would like to see a larger cutting width
- Smaller than other riding mowers
Best Feature: Can Navigate Through Hard To Reach Areas
- Up to 90-minutes run time with (2) Briggs & Stratton 82V Lithium ion 2.0 Batteries; Kit comes with (2) 2.0 Lithium ion batteries and rapid charger
- 19 inch steel mowing deck with 3 in 1 design mulch, bag or side discharge grass clippings easily.
- Smart, efficient load sensing technology power adjusts to meet the demands of the cutting blades
You could consider this lawnmower the Snapper Rear Engine Riding Mower’s cousin. It’s not as powerful; doesn’t require gas, but sure as hell knows how to cut 3 acres of grass.
It’s powered by two 82V batteries. If one runs out, you can charge it while the other keeps the lawnmower running.
However, keep in mind that only one battery can be used at any one time.
There is also a button indicating how much power each battery has left.
Charging time takes no longer than 30 minutes per battery and can be done using the charger that’s included.
If the batteries are running out of juice, the lawnmower will stay full power until they are completely drained. With other battery-powered lawnmowers, they seem to lose power when the batteries get low.
What’s more, it’s super quiet and has the cutting efficiency of a gas-powered mower.
What’s EVEN more, it’s not self-propelled; however, it’s super easy to push and doesn’t require excessive strength, making it great for the whole family.
When it comes to downsides, customers were complaining that some grass clippings weren’t going into the bag. After doing more research on this mower, I found this happens because the underneath of the mower deck isn’t clean.
Make sure you’re cleaning it every so often!
- Comes with two batteries for consistent mowing
- Battery level indicator
- Very quiet during use
- Lightweight and easy to push for the whole family
- Some grass clippings don’t go into the bag if the underneath isn’t clean
- You can only use one battery at a time
Best Feature: Multiple Batteries For Consistent Mowing
- Uses our Efficient 40V Lithium Battery System
- 17'' deck is versatile and light weight.
- 2-in-1 feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability for multiple use
When this mower arrives, it’s already preassembled. The only thing you need to do is attached the handlebar and lock it in place using the wingnuts and clamp included.
You’ll be surprised to see just how small and lightweight this thing is, making it great for the whole family. It doesn’t have the power of a gas-powered mower; however, it won’t have any issues cutting 3 acres.
With that being said, it’s the slowest lawnmower on this list.
Keep in mind there is only 1 battery and it lasts around 50 minutes. For this reason, I recommend it if you’re going to cut 3 acres over a few days.
Otherwise, you’ll need to keep recharging the battery every 50 minutes.
And who wants that!?
What’s more, there is a basket attached to the back that collects grass. On average, you’ll need to change it every 10 minutes.
So make sure you have some bin bags on hand!
When it comes to downsides, I noticed that some customers said the batteries seem to die after extended periods of use. With this in mind, it may be a good idea to purchase multiple batteries at the same time.
I mean, everything gets old sooner or later, right!?
- Pre-assembled upon arrival
- The basket attached to the back does a great job at collecting grass
- Lightweight design means it can be used by the whole family
- Powerful for an electric lawnmower
- I recommend purchasing multiple batteries when cutting 3 acres
- Some customers noticed the batteries die after extended periods of use
Best Feature: Lightweight And Easy To Use
Choosing The Best Lawn Mower For 3 Acres
Cutting 3 acres worth of grass isn’t a walk in the park. That’s why you need to ensure you’re getting a lawnmower that can get the job done.
Here are some things to look out for…
The cutting width is a good indicator of how long a mower takes to cut grass. The larger the cutting width, the less time it takes.
On average, most push lawnmowers have a cutting width of around 21 inches. On the flip side, riding mowers can have cutting widths of 60”+.
If you want my take on it, I recommend sticking with a riding lawnmower if you want to save time, especially if you’ve got 3 acres to cut!
Gas VS Electric
Gas-powered mowers are more powerful than electric alternatives; however, that doesn’t mean you can’t cut 3 acres using an electric one.
It’s going to take longer, but that’s not to say it can’t be done.
Also, if you’re going to use an electric mower, I recommend choosing one that comes with two batteries. This allows you to continue mowing while one of the batteries is charging.
If you can’t find one with multiple batteries, then I recommend purchasing an additional one separately.
You can thank me later!
Size & Weight
The size and weight determine how effective a mower is at cutting grass. For example, if there are lots of trees in your yard that are close together, then it’s going to be difficult for a full-size riding lawnmower to get in between.
On the flip side, if you have an open lawn, then a large riding mower is more suitable. That goes double, if you have uneven ground that needs mowing.
The weight of push mowers also has a big impact on how easily they cut the grass. If you suffer from back problems or aren’t very strong, then you’re going to need something lightweight and easy to move.
How Long Does It Take To Mow 3 Acres?
It varies depending on the type of mower you’re using. To give you a rough estimate, it’s going to take 2 hours and 30 minutes with a 52” gas-powered riding lawnmower.
Alternatively, If you’re using a push mower, it’s going to take a lot longer.
To determine how long it’s going to take, you need to look at the cutting width. Using the example above, you can assume a cutting width of 26” would take around 5 hours.
However, this varies depending on several different factors.
Is It Worth Investing In A Riding Lawn Mower?
For a lawn measuring 3 acres, I recommend investing in a riding lawnmower. Not only does it saves you time and energy, but it also allows you to sit down which is great if you suffer from back pain.
Or just hate standing up for long periods!
Making sure you choose the right lawnmower for 3 acres is essential if you want everything to go smoothly. I hope this article has helped you make an informed decision on which lawnmower is right for you.
To recap, I recommend the Huaqvarna Zero Turn Riding Mower. It’s easy to set up and lets you cut through 3 acres rather quickly.
If you would like to recommend a lawnmower that isn’t already on the list, drop a comment below and I will get back to you.