There are a lot of different factors that you need to consider when you’re looking for the best self-propelled lawn mower under $400. You’ll want to think about the size of your lawn, the type of terrain, and how easy the mower is to operate.
After doing some research, I’ve found that the Craftsman M215 is one of the best options out there. It’s lightweight and easy to maneuver, and it has an adjustable speed control so you can match the pace to your own walking speed.
It’s also equipped with a mulching blade, so you can reduce the amount of time you spend bagging leaves and debris.
In this article, we will take a look at 4 additional lawnmowers under $400 that may also be worth considering.
5 Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers Under $400
1.Craftsman M215 (Best Gas-Powered)
- POWERFUL 159CC OHV GAS ENGINE: Powerful gas engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start!
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Tip-up, turn, and maneuver around level terrain with ease.
The Craftsman M215 is a gas-powered lawn mower that has the power to cut through dense grass without stalling.
The variable speed makes it great for elderly people who can’t keep up with other self-propelled mowers, and the 21″ cutting deck is perfect for small to medium-sized lawns.
Setup is easy and doesn’t require any tools, which is excellent for people new to the world of mowers!
In addition, front-wheel drive helps you maneuver around obstacles in your backyard. This mower also tends to start the first time, so you don’t have to waste energy pulling the starter cord.
One con worth noting is it is not ideal for large lawns because of the 21″ deck, and some customers said it got damaged in shipping.
What I Like…
- Cuts through dense grass without stalling
- provides a sharp cut.
- Variable speed makes it great for elderly people
- Perfect size for small to medium-sized lawns.
- Doesn’t require any tools to set up
What I Don’t Like…
- Not the best option for large lawns
- Some customers said it got damaged in shipping
Best Feature: Powerful
2.Greenworks 40V Brushless Lawn Mower (Best Battery-Powered)
- Greenworks 40V brushless mower provides up to 45 minutes run-time with fully charged 5Ah battery. Run-time varies based on grass condition and operator technique
- Product dimensions: 65.35” L x 21.65” W x 33.07” H; Product weight: 21.65 pounds; Height adjustments: 1 3/8” - 3 ¾”
- Durable 21" steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily. Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
Greenworks 40V Brushless Lawn Mower features a 20-inch cutting deck and rear-wheel drive for bumpy or hilly terrain.
Depending on your preference, it can also mulch, side discharge, or bag clippings.
The lightweight design is excellent for older people who don’t enjoy moving around a heavy lawnmower. Plus, it’s less noisy than gas-powered mowers, which means you can cut the grass late at night or early in the morning.
Sounds like a dream mower, right!?
It gets better…
Depending on your preference, you can also adjust the cutting height between 1-3 inches.
The only downside is the short battery life of 20 minutes; however, you will save you money over time because it’s battery-powered and doesn’t require gas.
Overall, it’s great for anyone looking to cut their grass quickly while saving money in the long run.
What I Like…
- Cuts your lawn in a timely manner.
- Rear-wheel drive for bumpy and hilly terrain.
- Mulch, side discharge, or bag clippings.
- Lightweight design is great for older people
What I Don’t Like…
- More difficult to maneuver because of the rear-wheel-drive
- Short battery life of 20 minutes
Best Feature: Lightweight
3. WORX Nitro WG753 (Easy Storage)
- [GAS-LIKE POWER] Worx Nitro outdoor tools are engineered to provide gas-like power, performance, and run time
- [SELF-PROPELLED] Rear-wheel drive with variable-speed control
- [3-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY] Mulch / Bag / Side-Discharge
The WORX Nitro WG753 is designed with a brushless motor that requires less maintenance and prevents overheating, making this a stress-free machine!
The 21-inch cutting deck lets you cut medium-sized lawns without too much hassle, while the LED lights let you mow in the dark, so you don’t have to worry about any long shadows cast by obstacles in your yard.
In addition, it doesn’t require a mulch plug because it switches between mulching, side discharge, and bagging using the quick-change lever.
However, there are a few downsides you need to consider…
For one, the rubber handle is of low quality and feels like it might not last long.
Additionally, it’s not the best for mulching leaves – so if you have a lot of trees in your yard, you may want to opt for a different lawn mower.
What I Like…
- Brushless motor that prevents overheating.
- 21-inch cutting deck for medium-sized lawns
- Switches between modes quickly using the quick-change lever.
- LED lights for mowing at night
What I Don’t Like…
- The rubber handle is low quality
- Not the best at mulching leaves
Best Feature: Brushless Motor
4.PowerSmart Self Propelled Lawn Mower (Biggest Cutting Deck)
- 200CC OHV GAS ENGINE & 22-INCH STEEL MOWING DECK: PowerSmart self-propelled lawn mower contains with powerful 4-stroke, single cylinder gas engine which provides you powerful back up for clearing the tallest and toughest grass. Forced air-cooling system is equipped and ensures the continuous power of the engine to get your job finished. The gas lawn mowers contains a 22-inch steel mowing deck creates the large cutting area with high durability, which can help you cut bigger jobs easily.
- FLEXIBLE AND AGILE: 3-in-1 self propelled mower with bag, side discharge and mulching capability allows you to spread grass clippings to the side, returning key nutrients to your lawn so your grass can grow healthy and thick. The 11.5-inch rear-wheel drive type in this lawnmower make it easy to move. The large capacity 14.6 Gallon bag and labour-saving design can enhance your work efficiency.
- ADJUSTABLE CUTTING DEPTH: The self-propelled mower has 5-position height adjustment which allows you to change the cutting height to cut grass and overgrowth easily, cutting height in this self propelled gas lawn mower can be adjusted between the range of 1.2 to 3.5 inch, cutting width is 22 inch.
There is an excellent option for those who want to care for their lawn without all the fuss- The PowerSmart Self Propelled Lawn Mower!
This mower will do most of your work, saving your time and energy.
You can choose how long or short you want your grass to be with its adjustable height, and it has an engine with excellent power, even when tackling thicker grass.
Foldable handles make storage easy in any sized garage (or garden shed), while a larger rear bag minimizes time spent changing it during mowing.
And if that wasn’t enough, this mower also has one of the biggest cutting decks on our list at 22”!
Even with its amazing features, the PowerSmart Self Propelled Lawn Mower has a few downsides.
For example, it doesn’t have a variable speed option, which could be a deal-breaker for some.
Additionally, the plastic tires are not the best quality and could wear down quicker than those made of rubber.
What I Like…
- Adjustable height between 1.2 and 3.5”
- The 4-stroke gas-powered engine provides excellent power
- Foldable handle for easy storage
- 3-year warranty and a great customer service team on hand
What I Don’t Like…
- Doesn’t have a variable speed option
- Plastic tires are not the best quality
Best Feature: 3-Year Warranty
5.BLACK+DECKER 21″ Lawn Mower
- POWERFUL ENGINE: 140cc reliable engine equipped with recoil start. Battle tested and battle ready to get to work right away and help you get the job done.
- MUTLIPLE HEIGHT SETTINGS: Dual lever height adjuster with 6 different height settings. Whether your lawn needs a light trim or a full cut, find the height setting that fits the task at hand.
- 3-IN-1 CUTTING DECK: Side discharge, mulching, and rear capabilities.
The BLACK+DECKER 21″ is a gas-powered lawnmower that’s easy to transport. It comes with oil, saving you the trouble of buying your own.
The lightweight design makes it easy to maneuver around hedges or obstacles.
In addition, a 21″ cutting deck is perfect for small to medium-sized yards, as it’s not going to take too long.
This model is excellent for people just starting out with lawnmowers, as it’s easy to set up and doesn’t require a lot of experience.
However, it does have a few downsides. There are no variable speed adjustments, so it can be challenging to control.
It’s also a bit louder than other mowers on the market, which may not be ideal for those who like mowing at odd hours of the day!
What I Like…
- Easy 15-minute setup
- Gas-powered with a 140cc engine
- Lightweight design makes it easy to maneuver
- Comes with oil, saving you a little extra money
What I Don’t Like…
- Does not have variable speed adjustments
- It can be loud
Best Feature: Ease Of USe
Guide To Choosing The Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Under $400
Before you set fire to $400, it’s important you consider the factors below when purchasing a self-propelled lawnmower. Otherwise, you could end up with something that doesn’t perform as expected.
And who wants that!?
The cutting width refers to the length of grass a lawnmower can cut at any one time. The bigger the cutting width, the faster you’ll be able to cut the grass. That’s why I always recommend bigger cutting widths for people with large lawns.
After all, you don’t want to stop all day cutting the grass, right!?
With that being said, lawnmowers with a large cutting width do come with a minor downside. They tend to be bulkier and more difficult to maneuver, which is not ideal if you have lots of obstacles in your backyard.
For small to medium-sized lawns, I recommend a cutting deck between 16”-25”. If you’re dealing with a giant lawn, a cutting width of 40”+ would be more suitable. You could also consider getting a riding lawnmower, which would make your life a lot easier!
The quality of a lawnmower’s engine is super important. If you get something with a cheaply made engine, you’re going to be in for a surprise when it suddenly stops working.
For this reason, I’d also stay away from cheap corded mowers, as they tend to give out pretty fast. They also stall when they come up against denser grass, which is not what you need.
You need a lawnmower engine that’s powerful enough to provide a clean-cut and can handle both thin and dense grass. After reviewing the products in this article, I can honestly say they all provide exceptional engine performance.
Consider Your Age
One of the most common complaints I get from self-propelled lawnmower owners is that it goes too fast. Some companies don’t consider customers’ ages, which causes people to spend money on something that can’t be used.
If you’re getting older and are not as fast on your feet as before, you can still get a self-propelled lawnmower. However, make sure it’s got variable speed control. This lets you adjust the pace of the mower, so it can match your walking speed.
Gas VS Electric
Should you get a gas or electric lawnmower?
Unfortunately, I can’t answer that question! However, I can point you in the right direction.
Gas-powered mowers work best when you need to cut larger areas of grass. Why? Because you don’t have to worry about changing the battery every 30 minutes!
On the flip side, electric mowers are better for smaller lawns that don’t take long to cut. They also tend to be more lightweight, less noisy, and easier to maneuver.
A compact design may not be necessary for everybody. However, it’s essential for those who need to store their lawnmower in tight spaces, such as a small garage.
If this is the case, it’s a good idea to get a mower that folds up, as it’s going to take up less space.
$400 is more than enough for a high-quality lawnmower. Unless you’re going to be mowing acres of grass each week, you don’t need to be spending thousands on the top riding lawnmowers.
Although all the products in this article are slightly different, they will all get the job done effectively.